I was able to take about an hour away from working this weekend to make a little progress on the moulding plane. It’s amazing how just a few little things can make a big difference in the look and feel of a tool.
First, I planed off about 1/8″ of material that was left at the top of the grip of the plane to bring it down to its final height of 3 3/8″. I also sawed off the extra 1/2″ on each end of the plane blank. I cut the wedge to it’s final length and cut a bevel on it to push chips out of the escapement of the plane. I then rounded off the back of the grip so it would be more comfortable to hold.
This thing is starting to look like a real moulding plane. I decided that I would try sharpening up the iron, even though I hadn’t heat treated it and try out the plane. A couple of photos of the results are below.
The iron was a little soft and so there is a little bit of a flat and a knick in the curve left by the plane, but those should be taken care of when I get the iron heat treated. At this point, the only things left to do are the heat treatment and a few cosmetic touches to make the plane look better and feel better in use.
I don’t know when I’ll be able to heat treat the iron. I really don’t have the equipment to do it right and don’t have the extra cash or time to put together any type of forge doing the work. I’m still thinking about how I want to approach that. Next week, I hope to have finished the cosmetic work on the plane and wrap up this series of posts. In the next series, I intend to show photos of the process of making the hollow plane that is the mate to this one so you can see the steps involved and how easy making a useful tool can be.
Until next time. . .