More Projects – Diamond Plate Box

facebookIMG_2765

Before I get started,  I have started a facebook page to go along with the blog.  I’d like to have a community develop where it is easier for you as readers to share with me and with others.

That being said, I’d like to share the first project I built using the fame saw I wrote about last week.  It is a box to hold the diamond plates I use for sharpening.  Over a few months in 2014, I bought a full set of DMT diamond plates for sharpening.  Now, before I go any further, I wouldn’t recommend anyone buy a full set of any sharpening media to start with.  For most woodworking tools, a coarse, medium and fine polishing stone should be all that is needed.  I bought the full set because I plan/hope to do some more tool making, and the full range of grits will be helpful for that.  There will be more posts to come of the topic of tool making.

One of the problems I had with the diamond plates is that to save space, I would stack the plates and would have to sort through to find the one I needed every time I needed to sharpen a tool.  I decided to make this so that I would be able to reach in, grab the plate I need, and get to work.

I was able to use some scrap that I had in my shop from when I built my workbench in 2012.  I had a length of 6″ x 6″ Douglas Fir left over from one of the legs of my workbench.  This was the perfect size for making the box.

IMG_2603

I was able to lay out the widths of the boards for the box sides and started a sawcut on the end so my frame saw would get a straight start.

I didn’t photos of my using the frame saw, but to be honest, the resawing went extremely quickly and with surprising little effort.  In fact, for those of you that can’t imagine doing this kind of sawing by hand, I literally didn’t break a sweat doing the sawing. With each stroke of the saw, I cut between 1/4″ and 1/2″ of material, which make these 11″ cuts go really fast.

I did have some issues with the saw drifting a little to the right for most of these cuts.  At first I thought it was my technique, but after a few cuts, I decided to try removing some of the set on the right side of the blade (Set is the amount that the saw teeth are bent out to make the kerf wider so the blade doesn’t get bound up in the cut.  Every tooth is bent, alternating from left to right for every other tooth.)

IMG_2633The pencil lines in the photo above are where I intended the cut to be.  By the ends of the cuts, the saw had drifted between 1/16″ and 3/16″.

The saw cuts were surprisingly smooth for a saw with such large teeth.

`IMG_2632

I then planed down the boards and laid out the box for dovetails.  Unfortunately, I didn’t think to get photos of all this at the  time I was doing the work.

I also glued up 3/16″ thick panels for the top and bottom of the box.  I then made 1/8″ grooves for the top and bottom in the box sides and ends.  Then it was time to cut the dovetails.  My dovetailing needs a lot of work, but the end result was functional.

IMG_2760

Then I glued in 1/2″ dividers to the box ends glued a lip onto the end of the top to match the rest of the sides to the top.

Here are some more photos of the finished box:

The box is typically set up as shown in the photo at the top of the blog post.  This box has been a great help in working more efficiently.  At this point, I can’t think of any changes to the box that I would make if I had it to do again.

Please leave any questions or comments in the comments section, or on the facebook page.

Until next time. . .

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s