The night before last, I marked out the kerf for the sawplate in the new tote. Yesterday after work, I used my new Veritas Rip Tenon Saw to saw out the kerf. As a side note, I really am in love with these saws!
After the kerf was cut, I drilled the holes and counterbored the recesses for the for the saw nuts. I then drove the male half of the saw nuts into the holes to form the square portions of the holes (see the photo below).
You may notice a gray streak in the handle from one of the screw holes to the front of the tote. When I was driving in the saw nuts, the tote cracked along a weak section of the grain.
This morning, I started the repairs on the tote. First, I sawed a kerf along the crack.Next, I mixed up some epoxy with sawdust from the shaping of the tote and filled in the kerf with this mixture to act as a filler.
After the filler had set up, I removed the excess with a sharp chisel and a scraper. Below is a photo of the repaired tote.
The next step in making the tote is to do the final shaping of the curved edges. The most critical are to shape is around the grip so that the saw is comfortable to hold and use. The front and bottom edges of the tote will be shaped as well, but that is more for looks than anything. My next post in the series will cover the shaping (and hopefully the finishing) of the tote.
Until then. . .