This week I was able to get two more legs profiled and glued up. Now I only have five more for the two end tables I’m building. Here are the steps I used to shape the profiles.
1. Use a plow plane to plow a groove in the face of the component blank.
2. Plow a groove in the edge of the blank that is furthest from the face groove.
3. Use a rabbet plane to shorten the wall of the edge groove on the same side as the face groove.
4. Shorten the wall of the face groove nearest the edge.
5. Cut a rabbet in the edge nearest to the face groove.
6. Use a shoulder plane to bevel both edges at 45°.
7. Fit each mating piece so that the profiles lock together. When they fit properly, glue and clamp.
I hope you’ve found this step by step walk-through useful. I’d love to hear your thoughts. If you’d like to share, please leave a comment below.
Next week I hope to finish at least two more legs. More next time…