I started working on the legs for the end tables this week. Actually, I started on one leg. I want to make sure that I can get the quadralinear (4 part) legs to work out the way I want them to.
First of all, I cut the lumber to rough length for four legs. Once the pieces were cut, I planed down one of them to get a good surface on which to work. The oak had a great figure in it.
The next step was to saw out the four individual parts for the leg. The was a somewhat stressful step because I had only about a quarter of an inch to work with between the pieces. In the photo below, I had to try to saw to line closest to my thumb without cutting into the line on the right. I’m happy to say that my saw tracked beautifully and I didn’t have any problems with the cuts.
Once the pieces were cut and planed down to final size, I started plowing the grooves and rabbets to make the profile. To plow the grooves, I used a plow plane; for the rabbets, a moving fillister plane.
Once I had the profiles made, I had to individually fit the pieces to make sure the leg would go together. I ended up with a few gaps, but the liquid hide glue I plan to use should fill them adequately.
Now that I know the profile for the legs will work, I need to make seven more of them before I can move on the rest of the tables.